Guest Post by Bo Keeley;
The traditional best tourist internet in Iquitos is the Cyber on Putamayo Street in the third block which is a five minute walk from here and kitty corner from the church corner of Plaza de Armas. I’ve used it for 15 years through ups and downs, and currently (July 2014) the features are:
- It’s the fastest among twenty internets I’ve tried in the vicinity.
- But you’ll pay an extra half-sole per hour (2 soles per hour) for the much rapider rate than the other internets.
- The very fastest hours are anytime except from 6 – 9 on 3 random days a week (not weekends) when locals pile in to fill nearly every of the spacious 60 computer desks.
- There are always at least two techs on hand who are knowledgeable and helpful but don’t speak English.
- There’s good WiFi @ the same price of 2 soles per hour in the back with tables and chairs.
- Anti-porn is in effect.
- The fans rattle but work, so it’s cool.
- The bathrooms are atrocious and no one may sit in the men’s john unless he wants the world to walk in because for 3 years the owner hasn’t spent $3 to install a slide bolt.
- On weekend afternoons the place is a zoo with the owner’s dogs and kids barking, screaming and underfoot.
- The old days (two years ago) of the employees shortchanging has been corrected, but always count your change.
- The food snacks are good and drinks very cold but expect to pay restaurant prices for them.
- In sum, the Cyber Internet on Putamayo in the third block gets 4 of 5 stars, which is the best in town. It’s open 24 hours.
Internet Recommendations for Iquitos Peru
Guest post by Bo Keeley, King of the Road, author of several books that you can purchase on Amazon.com, including Executive Hobo, Riding the American Dream.