No Bush Meat Or Endangered Species Served At Dawn on the Amazon Cafe

I’m madder than hell that bush meat is sold illegally in 90% of the restaurants in Iquitos! Travelers pay me to see wild life. Not to eat it! The Dawn on the Amazon Cafe never has and will never serve jungle animal meat, or any endangered species such as paiche. Please support the restaurants that do not serve bush meat or endangered species.

If you read the menu of the restaurant you are in and there are choices such as caiman, lagarto, alligator, turtle, tortuga, tortoise, turtle eggs, majas, agoute, peccary, wild pig, deer, venado, armadillo, carachupa, capybara, ronsoco, tapir, sachavaca, manatee, vacamarina, anteater, oso hormiguero, or God forbid, monkey or mono, stand right up, scold the owner or at least the waitress and cook so they will tell the owner, walk out, and go to a restaurant that does not serve bush meat.

Don’t let that owner tell you those caiman nuggets are farm raised. That is a lie!

Iquitos has a population of 42o,ooo, with another 100,000 rural population in the province of Loreto and add on another 60,000 tourists each year to feed. Do you think feeding 580,000 people consuming jungle meat is sustainable?

On a similar theme, why do you think the Dawn on the Amazon Cafe does not serve heart of palm? Because one palm tree is destroyed for a few salads. It is obvious 580,000 people eating heart of palm is unsustainable.

Take a stand! Don’t support a restaurant that serves bush meat or heart of palm. You can make a difference.

I know for a fact that the Dawn on the Amazon Cafe, and the Amazon Bistro do not serve jungle animals or heart of palm. They deserve your support.

I’m madder than hell that bush meat and heart of palm are served in restaurants in Iquitos. Do you know of any other restaurants that do not serve bush meat and heart of palm? Let us know in the comments below so we can support them. Thanks.

Dawn on the Amazon Cafe does not serve bush meat or endangered species

Bill Grimes, host of the Dawn on the Amazon Cafe, reporting from Iquitos Peru, a popular place to be.

1 Richard January 18, 2012 at 10:10 am

Thank you, Bill, for pointing this out. The majority of tourists and locals don’t realize this at all. If we don’t take care of the jungle, we’ll lose it, likely forever.

2 Gart van Gennip January 18, 2012 at 11:40 am

Thanks Bill!

Many people, no, MOST people in Iquitos are completely unaware that killing, selling, owning, eating, or even simply transporting jungle animals from one pleace to another, is illegal.

I salute you for taking a stand and doing your part to educate the ignorant and to help curb the sale and consumption of bush meat, endangered or otherwise.

3 Captain Bill January 18, 2012 at 11:43 am

Thank you Richard for noticing and caring enough to comment. We are raising awareness together.

4 Captain Bill January 18, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Thanks for helping spread the news Gart.

5 David Volkmann January 18, 2012 at 11:07 pm

When I first read this article I was all ready to argue and disagree, but know better than to disagree with some. I thought it was over the top. So I started out by saying nothing. Today at dinner with my family of 5 Peruvians we discussed the article. I got a real education. Now I would like to argue why hasn’t someone said or done something before now. Cayman have never been my friends and I always felt there were plenty in the jungle so eating aligator nuggets never bothered me until now when one of my family members told me when she worked in the kitchen at one of the tourist restraunts, they would use Paiche as a substitue because it taste the same and was cheaper. Now I know Paiche are protected and they should be. The heart of the Palm was the biggest surprise. A 20 year old tree would be cut for a couple of salads and the rest of the tree as they put it went into the garbage . Now I know why people cut down Palm trees on our farm in Iquitos and just leave them lay. I can look the other way when it is poor people just looking for something to eat, but when financially well off expats do this, its another reason for me to be p….. off.

6 Captain Bill January 18, 2012 at 11:16 pm

A big thanks to Dave, Wilma and family for your support. I look forward to visiting about this issue and many others in Iquitos soon:)

7 Bernhard January 19, 2012 at 8:00 am

Bill, great of you to speak up on this case. There may be deeper roots to the cause concerning the local population, restaurants offering “bushmeat” another thing, but maybe they are “trendsetters”? I’ll write to you about some suggestions about the later.

8 John Tintinalli January 20, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Dear Bill,

Thank you so much for your stand, and thank you for the education as others have noted. I was unaware of the protection status of paiche and some of the other animals — and the problem with hearts of palm. You have my great respect, and I wish that Peru would do more (anything, really) to educate the public and protect those resources that make it such a unique and magical place.

John Tintinalli
Detroit, MI

9 Patty Webster January 20, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Very informative and thought provoking article Bill. I absolutely agree with you. People have to take a stand at some point and start doing something to make changes. ‘Eco Lodges’ and cruise ships should also pay attention! You can make a real difference by not going to (and informing the owners why) restaurants that serve up jungle animals. Everyone can do it! Thanks!

10 Captain Bill January 21, 2012 at 10:30 am

Dear John, You have my great respect. Thank you for your support.

11 Captain Bill January 21, 2012 at 10:32 am

Thanks Patty. Your opinion is very important to me. I hope to see you back in Iquitos soon.

12 Leo Jones January 21, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Though I’ve here for more than a decade, I was unaware of the problem. Thanks for educating me, Bill. Since I don’t eat meat, I will not be part of this problem. Keep up the good work work.