Brit Expats Gather With Embassy Staff

Guest post by Joe Plumb, Honorary British Consul in Iquitos

On Wednesday 12th October the British Embassy in Lima invited British nationals living in Iquitos to an evening gathering as an opportunity for the British nationals living here to get together and at the same time, to celebrate, at the invitation of the British Ambassador, James Dauris, the naming of a new Honorary British Consul for the District of Iquitos (Region of Loreto).

In total there were twelve British citizens present at the gathering, to meet Embassy staff, Cynthia Carbajal and Claudia de Olazabal (both Pro-Consuls). A few other British nationals living here who were unable to attend sent their apologies.

The two members of the British Embassy staff came to Iquitos for three days to meet local authorities and to give some in-service training to Joe Plumb, the newly-named Honorary British Consul in Iquitos, and his wife, Gina Melissa Vela Plumb, who is to assist him with consular administrative duties.

Following a very agreeable evening gathering at the “Antica Pizzeria” in the first block of Calle Napo, at which people had the opportunity to chat, get to know each other or to renew old friendships, Cynthia and Claudia had a full morning of appointments with the President of the Board of Fiscals of Loreto, with the Head of Immigrations, with the Chief of the Tourist and Environmental Protection Police and with representatives of “IPERU”, the Peruvian Tourist Information Agency. In the afternoon, there was some time to go sight-seeing, to buy souvenirs, and a quick visit to Mick Collis at “Mad Mick’s Trading Post”. Mick has been key in maintaining relations between the British Embassy in Lima and Iquitos over the last few years whilst there has been no Consulate.

The new Honorary British Consulate for Iquitos is to operate at:

Calle San Jose 113 (second floor)

Punchana

Telf:0051-65-253364 (land-line) or 0051-997517127 (mobile)

-between the hours of Monday-Friday 9am-11am and 4:30pm-6pm.

It was generally agreed that the evening get-together was a good idea and that attempts should be made to do so with greater regularity. It was commented upon that the tone was very convivial and conversational, and that it was nice to have a chance to speak a little bit of English when we’re all immersed in Castellano for the greater part of most of days.

Thanks to the British Ambassador in Peru and to the British Embassy staff in Lima for this very pleasant initiative on their behalf. It’s good to renew the contact between Lima and ourselves in the Loreto Region again, after a few years of scanty communication, now that Iquitos has its’ own Honorary British Consulate and Honorary Consul again, and we can feel that we’re back on equal terms with Cusco, Trujillo and Arequipa.

Brit Expats Gather With Embassy Staff

Guest post by Joe Plumb, honorary British Consul in Iquitos

Bill Grimes is the publisher of this Captain’s Blog, President of Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises, manager of the Amazon Golf Course, host at the Dawn on the Amazon Cafe, the United States Embassy in Lima, American Services Department, Honorary Deputy Warden for Iquitos, among many other projects, none more important than being a friend and ally of Joe Plumb, Honorary British Consul in Iquitos, and his wonderful wife Gina. Read more about Joe and Gina’s activities by clicking this Trip To UK By Footballers From Iquitos;

1 Chief Superintendant Ted Shankley October 28, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Yes we’ve been looking for some of these savory charactors for some time now we know where they are.
You might just say “Been a long time, Jim and Simon” to those 2 retrobates Arnott & Gibbs. The grey haired gentleman in the white shirt next to Arnott seems familiar too, my people are checking him out as we speak. Thanks again-

2 Alan Sinfield October 28, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Mike thanks for sending me the information before I viewed it on Bill’s Blog. Sorry that I missed the opportunity to get together with the other Brits, perhaps once I am 100% again and in Iquitos. Best to all and thanks for sharing. Alan

3 Captain Bill October 29, 2011 at 10:42 am

Dear Alan, you are greatly missed by your family and friends in Iquitos. We miss you, and wish you the most speedy recovery.

4 Captain Bill October 29, 2011 at 10:46 am

Ahhh yes, this cast of characters have finally been exposed. If you need any assistance rounding them up let me know.

5 Andrew Witnall November 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Good News, Now with Bill looking after the Yanks and Joe looking after us Brits, we should all be OK.

see you all at christmas.

Bill – Ask Mike is there anything special but small he want’s Bringing over from UK ? i’ll bring some Marmite, Rizla’s and Golf Tees but see if he wan’ts anything else, but tell him it has to be small.
Take care all and keep up the good work
Andy

6 Captain Bill November 5, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Thanks Andy, I know Joe and I will do our best. I will ask Mike tonight if he has any request. I have no idea what Rizla’s are but there is a great demand for marmite and golf tees:) I hope your family are happy and healthy. See you soon…
Best,

7 Andrew Witnall November 5, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Sorry Bill,
rizlas is a bit of brit slang for cigerette rolling paper.
let me know if there’s anything your after too from the UK market,

yeah mags and Dylan are good, they returned to iquitos in october, magali couldn’t hack the onslaught of winter over here

andy

8 Marcus Gordon April 25, 2012 at 5:50 am

This is a message for Simon and Jim (Arnott and Gibb respectivley). Its Marcus here, just doing some random googling and found this page, with pictures of my old mates 🙂

Drop me a line if you have any contact details for Jim and/or Simon and I would be most appreciative.

many thanks,

Marcus

9 Captain Bill April 28, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Hi Marcus, Jim and Simon are here right now. I showed them your message and they are delighted to hear from you. What good mates you all are. They say hello but the internet is too slow for them to respond easily. They wish you the best. They are sitting outside now with their nice attractive girl friends drinking a beer and remembering the good times with you. Thanks for reaching out. Your message brought many good memories.
Bill.

10 Kev bowler August 3, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Its kev bowler father of 3 and still married n living in ashby de la zouch – time moves on but memories dont – newcastle boro and mc lee (joke)

Get in touch amigos jim arnott n simon ‘nomis’ gibb

Bevo

11 Kev bowler August 3, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Ps (sorry)

Grest to old friends well and happy – love a banter muckas soz vouldnt make smigs wedding – work and my golf addiction
Asta manyana
Kev

12 Marcus Gordon September 5, 2014 at 5:13 am

Ahoy there Captain Bill

I have just seen your response to my 2012 email; only two and a half years late for me to see it but I know Jim at least works on those kind of timescales! 🙂

All well here in London, and me and the wife (Amy) have bought a house in Walthamstow, where I believe Colin Smith and Smig still live?

Please send all my love to Simon and Jim for me Captain Bill, and I will try to look at this page more than once every two years this time! 🙂

Good to see Kev Bowler has found the same page too,. now Kev you big doyle! Hope all is well with you mate.

Peace, Marcus

13 gordon roddick October 23, 2016 at 4:47 am

Does any one have contact with Patrick Nicholls who was the hon Consul for the UK in Iquitos about 1966? Nicole Maxwell was there at the same time.