What Do You Find When You Google Amazon Cruise Or Amazon Cruises?

I still remember the first time I googled the search term Amazon Cruises over a decade ago, Paul Wright’s web site, Amazon Tours and Cruises was on top, Latin Trails ranked number 2, Bill Lamar’s and George Ledvina’s Greentracks was number 3, Albert Slugocki’s Margarita Tours and Rotundo’s Junglex were somewhere on the 1st or 2nd page. They were a great inspiration for my new little cruise company that could, Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises which at that time was somewhere out of sight on page 20 or beyond.

Most of us know by now that those top three boxes that are a different color, paid to be positioned there hoping to trick us. I clicked those links to research for this article. They are glorified international travel agencies working for a commission that may or may not know about Amazon cruises.

During the last few years Paul Wright has been “semi-retired” and let his domain go.

Latin Trails morphed into Amazon Cruise.net, and moved up on top of google search for amazon cruise, and amazon cruises.

Greentracks, with the help of Scott Humfeld, continues ranking 2nd, 3rd, or 4th most days.

Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises has grown up and has ranked 3rd or 4th most days for several years.

Margarita Tours and their web site, amazon-ecotours, is now run by Dr. Devon Graham, who has changed Margarita Tours focus away from tourism toward supporting research for Project Amazonas. He is now president of both of those excellent companies.

Rotundo’s Junglex now has an arrangement with International Expeditions, a large travel company that keeps his boats full. IE has moved up on to the first page for amazon cruise.

Inevitably, other companies with amazon cruise boats are moving up in google search. Aqua Expeditions ranks right behind Dawn on the Amazon at number 5. They are generating a lot of buzz in the media with links back to their website, and will probably drive Dawn on the Amazon down to 5 and 6. They are earning their ranking.

Richard Bodmer’s AmazonEco is another great company with wonderful antique boats restored to their previous grandeur.  AmazonEco recently purchased and are restoring Paul Wright’s famous riverboat, Rio Amazonas. Like Margarita Tours, AmazonEco focuses on research and is not primarily interested in tourism.

All of those characters mentioned here, and their companies have earned my respect. They are legendary in the upper amazon of Peru. Books will be written about their exploits and accomplishments. This short blog article can only begin to tell their story.

It would be presumptuous of me to speak for all of them, but I am going to anyway, (if I mistake the facts ladies and gentlemen, leave a comment below to correct my story).

All of us have some common characteristics. To varying degrees, we love Iquitos, The Amazon River and it’s tributaries, the rainforest, riverboats, our companies and the hard working men and women that help us to make the services we provide possible. We have spent thousands of days on the river and in the jungle. We earned our authority. No one knows everything about the amazon region of Peru, but if we could combine and distill all of our hard earned knowledge and the information gained over our life times it would make a potent brew.

I know a little about search engine optimization. I know google places a great emphasis on links, from sites with authority, out to other web sites. I never spent much time and spent no money on trying to get links. The links I have are “organic”. Perhaps the links I am giving to these other good Amazon cruise companies will help solidify their google ranking, and provide you with valuable information at the same time.

Greentracks works on SEO with press releases, interesting videos on YouTube, lots of appropriate keywords in their titles and website pages, and it obviously pays off for them.

Aqua Expeditions invites journalists and photographers to go along if they will write an article or publish photos with a reference, or a link back to Aqua. That strategy is working well for them. I tried that early in my career but because the second time all references to Dawn on the Amazon were left on the cutting room floor, all journalists now have to pay full price.

Another amazon cruise company that I like and respect is the Delfin Amazon Cruises. For some reason, google does not seem to share my opinion of their web site, you can find them on page 5, but I am giving them a link here. Every little bit of SEO helps.

My small SEO niche is telling these stories on my Captain’s Blog. I enjoy writing them and you seem to enjoy reading them. You can find over 375 articles about Iquitos, the rivers, the rainforest, the great reserves, Dawn on the Amazon, me and my friends and peers. Google gives me some authority for publishing them.

Some people might ask, “Bill, are you making a big mistake giving links and promoting your competition?”

I don’t think so. It might be a mistake if the size of the pie is finite. Part of my plan is to grow the pie bigger, and those of us that deserve a slice will have a larger slice than before. Those that don’t deserve a slice will probably only get a taste.

I just tell it like I see it. I don’t think of those characters and companies mentioned above as competition. I think of them as my peers that have earned my respect and admiration.

Every one of those presidents of their companies know all there is to know about outfitting and operating an Amazon cruise. Every one of those individuals and companies can be trusted to safely send your money directly to them to provide your Amazon cruise.

Each company’s web site has a link to an “about us” page, a “price” page, and a “contact us” page.

My advise is to find the company that provides the price that fits your budget. If your budget fits the Aqua, you follow through by clicking the Aqua’s contact page.

If your budget fits, Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises, you contact Dawn on the Amazon, at Contact Us. Your email will go directly to me, and we will personally correspond arranging your Amazon Cruise.

Thank you.

What Do You Find When You Google Amazon Cruise Or Amazon Cruises

Bill Grimes is the President of Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises; Click this link to About Us;

1 Scott Humfeld August 10, 2011 at 10:24 am

Thanks for mentioning GreenTracks. We have spent nearly 20 years in Peru, exploring different regions, the rivers and villages. Getting to know the Peruvian people and networking with other tour providers enables us to show the real Amazon and Peru to our travelers.

GreenTracks

2 Captain Bill August 10, 2011 at 11:02 am

Thanks for the comment Scott, I agree, and hope it was clear in my article that I consider GreenTracks to be among the best at providing Amazon Cruises, and I hope that in some small way my link to the GreenTracks web site will help solidify the position on the first page of search engines for the terms Amazon Cruises that you deserve.

Some day in the not too distant future, I suspect a combination of Wikipedia, Maps, TripAdvisor, large travel agencies, and ambitious new comers, that know nothing about the Amazon or the Peruvian people will push Dawn on the Amazon and possibly GreenTracks, and possibly our worthy peers onto the second page. It is our responsibility to make that difficult to do. I know you are always working hard to keep the hounds at bay. Keep up the good work my friend.

Dawn on the Amazon:)

3 Alfredo Begazo August 15, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Dear Mr. Grimes,

I’ve been consistently reading your blog and thinking of a way to introduce myself to you and the community of folks involved with tours and cruises in the Peruvian Amazon. What better opportunity than your later blog! I Fully agree with this “It might be a mistake if the size of the pie is finite. Part of my plan is to grow the pie bigger, and those of us that deserve a slice will have a larger slice than before.” Amen to these words.

As you mention in your blog, every company has a unique style, philosophy and pricing. These make us nearly mutually exclusive. These differences are also reflected in the clientale base. Folks will choose what better suit their needs and budgets.

When we, at Amazon Voyages, were talking about creating this company, the main goal was, and still is, offering an Amazon experience that is different from what the established companies are offering. We do not want to compete with the established companies. We believe the historic and academic spin to our voyages make them different from what you, Greentracks, Aqua, and Delfin offer. I had a couple inquiring about shorter Amazon tours. We don’t offer cruises shorter than 8 days. I referred them to Dawn on the Amazon. This was about three – four weeks ago.

I hope to meet you all on my next visit to Iquitos. My favorite spot is the restaurant across from La Pascana Hotel on Calle Pebas. Nothing beats a cold beer as tropical kingbirds, tody-flycatcher, and large-billed terns fly in the backdrop of the beautiful Amazon.

Kindest Regards,

Alfredo Begazo

4 Captain Bill August 15, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Dear Mr. Begazo,

Thank you so much for your refreshingly intelligent comment sir. I am looking forward to meeting in person the next time you are in Iquitos. Please stop in and introduce yourself. Dawn on the Amazon is right around the block from your favorite spot. We are watching the same birds from a slightly different angle:)

Sincerely,

5 Alfredo Begazo August 16, 2011 at 9:52 pm

“Please stop in and introduce yourself. Dawn on the Amazon is right around the block from your favorite spot. We are watching the same birds from a slightly different angle”

Will Do!

Thank you Sir.

6 Marcel Perkins August 17, 2011 at 11:11 am

Dear Bill,

We had the pleasure to meet in person at your office, I had the amazing opportunity to sit out on your boat with a cold beer in hand as you told me about how you built the Dawn on the Amazon river boat. How you took care of every little detail, making sure it had the least impact on the river.

You are one of the most hospitable people I met in Iquitos and I love the way you run your trips by letting clients decide on their itinerary and what they want to see. I have met very few people with such passion for what they do.

As you mention, your company is small in business terms, but large at heart. You deliver the real thing “the experience” and you share it with your guests, I mean really, being the captain of your own boat and joining every trip makes a big diference.

I am honered that you mention Latin Trails on this great list, we have been involved in organizing trips to the Amazon rainforest not just in Peru, but in Brazil, Ecuador and Bolivia as well for many years. We hope that everyone who visits this beautiful region earns a new perspective on wildlife and conservation.

Thank you again for this post, and hopefully we can all make the pie larger, but always keeping it authentic and sharing experiences, “trying” to teach conservation and opening minds… one person at a time.

Cheers,

Marcel

7 Captain Bill August 17, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Dear Marcel,

Thank you so much for your comment. Your opinion is important to me. I hope the next time you venture to Iquitos you’ll stop in and visit. We have a lot to share. See you soon…

Sincerely,