The Cap’n Peg Leg Blog

The Cap’n Peg Leg Blog

Bill Grimes at the Ana Stahl Clinic with an infection in his leg

For a while during the last couple of weeks I thought I might have to change the name of this blog to The Cap’n Peg Leg Blog. That doesn’t have quite the same ring to it, so you’ll be glad to know I still have both legs.

I had a close call. The tropics have historically been hard on us humans. I almost said us gringos, but this applies to the local population also. I had a small sore on the shin bone of my right leg. I don’t even know how I got it. It got bigger and rounder. Marmelita started doctoring it. She cleaned it, added iodine, coated it with antibiotic powder, like we have treated several other of my open sores over the years. No big deal. After a few days the sore started to seep a liquid. We treated it more often. Then one day the seepage got a bad smell to it. That night the sore on my leg hurt. By morning it hurt a lot. When I crawled out of bed the next morning my leg was horrible. It was a raging red, and the red was spreading rapidly. It had become a monster infection.

Bad infection

We hurried to the emergency room of the Ana Stahl Clinic and it’s a good thing we did. They immediately started intravenous antibiotic medication. For the next 10 days the only time I didn’t have a needle in my vein was the 10 minutes it took when the nurses were changing to another vein. They dripped over 60 doses of antibiotics into me, in addition to other medication. I counted 16 needle punctures in my hands and arms, including when they took blood samples for lab tests.

I had the kind of infection that can result in amputations. It scared me. Instead of Captain Bill it could have been Cap’n Peg Leg’s Blog, and my son Matt, the sculptor, would have had something interesting to carve on.

Fortunately the good doctors and nurses at the Ana Stahl Clinic did a great job, and on doctors orders, I’m recuperating at my home for the next few days. They saved me from having to rename my blog The Cap’n Peg Leg Blog. That’s a big relief…

No wi-fi

If you haven’t heard from me in the last couple of weeks, now you know why.

The Cap’n Peg Leg Blog

Cap’n Peg Leg Bill, reporting for Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises.

1 George Taylor November 26, 2010 at 3:33 pm

That looks pretty nasty, indeed. Good to hear that you will recover with both legs intact!

2 Jim Richardson November 26, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Glad to hear that you had caught the infection on time and are on the mend, Bill!

Yours in friendship,

Jim Richardson

3 Captain Bill November 28, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Thanks for the friendship and will wishes. No Peg Leg here.

4 Alan Sinfield November 30, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Geeee Bill what a horrible infection glad you caught that in time or at least Marmelita did. Mike had told me that you were in hospital but without details…now I know why. Do you know if it was a bite or a cut that got infected? Whatever, I guess it does not matter I am just glad that you are good. I will be back in Iquitos next week and will be sure to visit you both on my first day back. Take care, I don’t have to many friends left and cherish the ones I do…which includes you and Marmelita. My son will be joining me on the 15th so expect a new customer…I am sure he will favour your fod over other places as it includes the kind of dishes he likes. Best to you both take care see you soon.
Alan

5 Captain Bill December 2, 2010 at 10:17 am

Hi Alan, I’m getting better every day. Looking forward to seeing you in person soon.

6 Andrew Witnall December 4, 2010 at 8:51 am

Hi Bill.
glad you caught it in time and are getting better. Those photo’s look really nasty. catch up for a beer over christmas.
all the best
Andy

7 Sarah Webb December 4, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Crikey!! That looks nasty! So, next time an infection seeps smelly liquid you’ll go to clinic RIGHT AWAY, yes??!!

Healing well at the site of infection? Hope so!
If it is healing slowly, maybe get checked for diabetes… that can go undetected but does slow down healing in extremities.

Glad you are OK, Bill!!!!

Sarah