The Dawn on the Amazon Café Opens February 1st

The Dawn on the Amazon Café opens at 7:30am, Monday, February 1st, 2010

Ok, this is exciting for us. The Dawn on the Amazon Café opens tomorrow morning, Monday, Feb. 1st, at 7:30am.  After months of planning, and three weeks of practicing and refining our recipes, we are ready to break into the restaurant scene in Iquitos.

This advertisement for The Dawn on the Amazon Café will be in the Feb. edition of the Iquitos Times

We occupy one of the best locations in Iquitos, on the quiet end of the boulevard with a beautiful view of the river. We have one of the best chefs in the upper Amazon to prepare the freshest ingredients for our home cooking. Every thing will be made from scratch. No store bought premixed canned sauces or boxed ingredients, no artificial flavorings or preservatives, no refined sugar or MSG.

Cooking from scratch takes a little longer. This is not fast food. This is delicious food. It is more like Grandma used to cook when the family got together. Simple orders such as soups, salads, pancakes, appetizers, etc. should be ready in 15 minutes, more complicated dishes should be served within 30 minutes or less from the time the order is made.

Today I feel very organized. I hope I still feel very organized this time tomorrow.

The Dawn on the Amazon Café opens at 7:30am, Monday, February 1st, 2010

Bill Grimes feels very organized today. That’s lucky for the Dawn on the Amazon Café

1 J Christine February 1, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Best of Luck! looks good! I’m off to Egypt, but I will be coming back to Iquitos!

2 Nicole February 1, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Congrats Bill! I’ll definitely come visit when I come back! When that will be, no one knows…but kudos! Best of luck!

3 Jim Clay February 1, 2010 at 6:44 pm

A stand up Captain, highly recommend you check out the services of the Dawn of the Amazon. Thanks for the great service you have shown to me and my friends!

4 Annie February 1, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Is this restaurant owned by locals?

5 Anita February 1, 2010 at 7:28 pm

The menu doesn’t look authentic at all! I only saw a couple of things that we actually do eat a lot of in Iquitos. This menu is designed to keep picky Americans happy… if you are not willing to try new foods that are really true to the area, go on this cruise, but you won’t be getting the real experience. And also his comment: “our Peruvian grandmother
cook, takes pleasure in fattening you up. She not only practices North
American hygiene, she goes a step farther. All fruits and vegetables are
not just rinsed in pure water. They are rinsed and then soaked in pure
water and then rinsed again”

North American hygiene? really?? do we really need to go there? first of all, clean water is not easy to come by in those areas, that is why it is taught to us to leave them in water with some clorox, to help kill bacteria, I am sure pure water don’t disinfect as well as clorox.

6 Luke February 1, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Great to hear! Will be looking forward to it next time Im in the Amazon.

7 Heidi February 1, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Wow! Congratulations! Is Judy your cook, she is fabulous. I’m sure the team you have assembled is no less spectaular than the team you have on the Boat and at the Jungle Cabin. Hugs to you all.
Heidi

8 jimbo February 1, 2010 at 11:44 pm

bill, the menu looks delicious! can you send some steamed fish up to florida?
have fun! is richard the cook or bartender? best of wishes.

jimbo

9 CHUCK HALEY February 2, 2010 at 12:01 am

Hi Bill
I will see you in Sept at your new venture-
The Dawn on the Amazon Café,I know the food will be good with you at the helm
I will have to check out your menu in the Feb. Iquitos Times
GOOD LUCK
Chuck

10 Dottie Bonnett February 2, 2010 at 12:08 am

Congratulations on your opening! Can’t wait to be a customer. How is Judy?

11 robert February 2, 2010 at 4:23 am

cant wait,,,feel hungry already,well done all.and what a wonderful location,this will give the yellow rose a hammering, wish i could be there for the opening .good luck Bill on this adventure.
hope to see you all real soon.rob Ireland

12 Captain Bill February 2, 2010 at 9:35 am

Hi Robbie, Nice to hear from you. Thanks for checking in with us again. I’m happy with our opening, and we are building on it today. I wish all of my friends, and peers that have restaurants the best of luck. There is plenty of room for all of us. I’m just trying to carve out my small niche.

Are you getting organized for your big adventure paragliding from the source to the mouth of the Amazon? Is the documentary film crew ready? Wow, now that’s a real adventure.

Best,

13 Captain Bill February 2, 2010 at 10:07 am

Hi Dottie, thanks. We look forward to having you and Dave as our guests. Poor Judy, she can’t use her hands. That’s a big disadvantage for a cook. :-). I remember when Kieth Moon died and the Who hired two drummers because no one drummer could drum all that Keith could drum by himself. We hired four cooks, and Judy tells them what to do. No one cook could cook all that one cook could cook if one cook cooked all that one cook could cook…or something like that. That’s what a chef does, direct the line cooks on what to do. Yesterday she worked from 6:00am till 11:00pm, then started again this morning at 6:00. Marmelita, Judy, and my entire team look forward to seeing you all soon.

Best,

14 Captain Bill February 2, 2010 at 10:23 am

Hi Chuck, Thanks, you know we will do our best. We look forward to you joining our collection of interesting ex-pats, and travelers at the Amazon Explorers Club patio, over looking the river.

Best,

15 Captain Bill February 2, 2010 at 10:31 am

Hi Jimbo, Thanks, great to hear from you. Richard is here looking over my shoulder and smiling a lot. He does everything that needs doing. Yesterday he worked from 7:00am to 11:00pm. I wouldn’t get along so good without him. We miss you. We have a new chair for you to look off across the river from. Hope to see you soon.

Best,

16 leo jones February 2, 2010 at 10:32 am

I can vouch for the cakes. They are delicious. Also,since I am from Georgia, I like the cornbread. Its the best I have had outside of the states.

17 Captain Bill February 4, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Dear Heidi, it’s always a pleasure hearing from you. Your one of the nicest women in the world. Steve is so lucky. Say hi for me. Yes Judy is our cook, so I don’t have to worry about the quality of the food, she is always fabulous. The core of my team is still together and I’ve been lucky to add two brilliant young guides that also speak excellent English that I am very proud of, plus a small group of new people to work the Café. Things are coming together for us. I hope the same for you.

Best,

18 Captain Bill February 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Hi Christine, have a great time in Egypt. You will have a chance to be on the Nile,longest river in the world, and the Amazon, largest river in the world. Not everyone can say they have done that.

Hi Nicole, thanks, we hope to see you sooner…

Hi Jim, Thanks for the kind words. Your friends emailed me and I replied. We will probably meet in the next couple of days. Hope so. Will let you know.

Hi Annie, my wife Marmelita and I own the Dawn on the Amazon Café, so it is half locally owned. Of course I am a Loratana, Iquiteña, charapa also with my Immigrant residency. We have assembled a team of locals that are almost like family. Everyone has health insurance, a retirement fund, and makes at least minimum wage. Dawn on the Amazon is very good for the economy of Iquitos, and I hope you will help support our efforts.

Hi Anita, Maybe you don’t know about Inchicapi Soup, the quintessential Pervian Soup that we serve every day, maybe you don’t eat steamed Dorado fish fillets straight from the river, or fresh ground peanut butter from peanuts raised along the river. I guess you don’t drink fresh squeezed tropical fruit juices like camu-camu, passion fruit, orange or lime, or tropical fruit salads made from local produce? I bet you have never tried Sacha Inchi nut oil, raised and processed right here in the Amazon, high in Omega 3, 6, and 9? We use it in our salad dressing. Don’t you eat salsa criolla made with rocoto and ahi dulce peppers? Don’t you eat the fresh water buffalo cheese? Do you know about Quinua, Super grain of the Incas? Rocoto hot sauce? Fresh basil and fresh rosemary from the Belen Market? We do use a very diluted clorox mixture to wash our egg shells before we use them, then we rinse them in purified water. You can rinse your lettuce with clorox if you want to but I promise to never use clorox on my fruits and vegetables. I prefer the triple rise in purified water which contrary to what you implied, is easy to purchase in Iquitos, and we take it with us on our cruises. Share with us which restaurants you like to eat at while you are in Iquitos? What “authentic” things do you eat in Iquitos?

Hi Luke, thanks, hope to see you soon.

Best,

19 Gino Milita March 9, 2010 at 5:42 am

Michael Collis should pay for my first dinner when I get back to Iquitos!….after all, I DID save Aurora, the pet parrot who was sleep deprived in 2001!

Michael, remember the “flaming meals” I cooked at the restaurant in 2001?
Sopa de lorro sounds tasty after three days on a riverboat!
And…I’d eat the south end of a north bound monkey!
Smiles,
Gino

20 Dale Baskin June 2, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Congratulations on the new restaurant! Can’t wait to try it next time I’m in Iquitos!

21 Captain Bill June 2, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Thanks Dale, We would be honored to have the “Accidental Explorer” and captain of the winning crew of the Great River Amazon Raft Race 2006, grace our table at the Dawn on the Amazon Cafe.