Monkey Island

Monkey Island

Monkey Island is home to nine species of primates totaling over 40 individuals. One of them speaks English, two speak Spanish, and all of them are very expressive.

Gilberto Guerra is the owner of Monkey Island. He has been operating this haven for orphaned monkeys two hours down stream from Iquitos Peru for seven years. Gilberto and his right hand man Libert Garcia raise bananas, star fruit, caimito, papaya, mamey, cacao, and other tropical fruits to feed the monkeys and the humans.

Monkey Island would be nearly self sustaining except the inhabitants have developed a special fondness for grapes which do not produce well in the Amazon Rainforest. A funny scene is watching several Woolley Monkeys separate the grape pulp from the skin. They are picky about their grapes. They don’t like skin, but they do not waste one speck of the fruit.

The species we played with on our last visit to Monkey Island were:

• Red Uacari Monkey
• Woolley Monkey
• Saddleback Tamarin
• Saki Monkey
• Dusky Titi Monkey
• Spider Monkey
• Yellow-tailed Spider Monkey
• Red Howler Monkey

You can learn a lot about monkeys at Monkey Island

I learn something new about monkeys nearly every time we visit Monkey Island. I remember the first time I took a hike across the island. The oldest Woolley was my guide. He held my hand with one of his and caught and ate spiders with his other hand the whole way. I was surprised how many spiders a Woolley eats. Of course that was several years ago before they discovered the joy of grapes.

If you choose an Amazon cruise to Monkey Island, I recommend you ask Libert to be your guide instead of the Woolley Monkey. Be sure to give him a tip. He does not eat spiders.

Monkey Island

Bill Grimes, Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises

Read a great guest post first hand account of volunteering at; A Haven for Eco-Tourism, Monkey Island, La Isla de Los Monos, by Anna Lund, and Our Visit to Monkey Island by Helen Hazelman.

1 Helen June 23, 2008 at 5:16 am

I had a fantastic time out at Monkey Island,I remember those little fellas like it was yesterday.Some of them can be real lazy,sprawling on the banks of the river like they are waiting for an Inca Cola! Its a great place to take the kids to,its educational and lots of fun too.

2 Bill June 23, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Hi Helen, thanks for sharing your experience at Monkey Island. “Like they are waiting for an Inca Cola.” That is very cute. I wish I had thought of that.

3 Tony Dywer June 24, 2008 at 10:28 am

Hello Bill,
Nice stuff Bill. I own a small menagerie in Lostock Hall in England and I would be very interested in aquiring those monkeys that you say can speak
english and spanish. How expensive are they ?

4 Bill June 24, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Hello Tony,

Thanks for finding and reading Monkey Island, and leaving a comment. I am pleased to have captured your attention. I reported there were 9 species of primates, and only listed 8 species. The expense of the language capable primates would be visas, plane tickets to England, and a salary working at your menagerie. I imagine Gilberto and Libert would jump at the opportunity, although maybe not, they seem pretty happy on their little island full of monkeys. I should have mentioned the parrot that speaks better Spanish than me. All in all, it is a charming place, I bet you would like it.

5 Cindy Nolan November 13, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I want to take a one day (short) river boat to see monkeys. How much and what do you have available in March 2012? help me/thanks Cindy

6 Captain Bill November 14, 2011 at 8:09 am

Hi Cindy, to travel to Monkey Island on a boat ride on the Amazon we need a minimum of 3 passengers. Bring 2 friends, or we will find 2 others and the price is $65 per person. It could be good if you contact me directly using the email address at Contact Bill

7 Jasmine November 25, 2011 at 10:22 pm

when i went to visit monkey island the monkeys climbed all over us it was really fun!!!!!!!!!!! I recomend this to everyone

8 Captain Bill November 26, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Hi Jasmine, Thanks for sharing your experience about Monkey Island with us. I agree with your opinion. It is funnnnnn!!!!!!

9 Jonie Smitley September 11, 2014 at 7:50 am

Hola Bill,
This is Jonie, I eat at Dawn on the Amazon whenever I come to Peru (you know with Pachita…. ) This is a great site you have here.. I was just hanging up pictures of the “sweet” monkeys and came across your page. Makes me hungry for your good food 🙂 Hope you are well. See ya soon
Jonie

10 Alice September 10, 2015 at 9:14 am

Hi Bill,

I was wondering if your prices for a tour to monkey island are the still the same. Is it still $65/person? My boyfriend and I will be visiting Iquitos sometime in the first two weeks of December 2015.

Alice

11 Captain Bill November 3, 2015 at 9:25 am

Hi Alice, Monkey Island is our farthest destination for a day trip and takes more gas to get to. We need a minimum of 3 passengers at $79 per passenger.

Best regards,