Tourism Statistics for Iquitos Peru

Tourism Statistics for Iquitos Peru

Come to Iquitos Peru to get away from the crowd. Cusco has as many tourists in one week as Iquitos has in one year.

Total international tourists 2005 32,556
Tourists from Spain 2005 1,757
2006 2,076
Tourists from Canada 2005 322
2006 1,361
Tourists from France 2005 860
2006 1,081

The months with the fewest tourists in Iquitos Peru are Jan., Feb., April, May, Nov., Dec.

The months with the fewest tourists for Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises are April and May. That always surprises me because those are two of the best months for Amazon Cruises. The water is high and the boat rides above the river bank with the best view.

International tourists who went to lodges 2005 30,179
2006 30,208
Peruvian tourists who went to lodges 2005 2,527
2006 3,893
International tourists who did not go to lodges or stay in hotels 2005 6,410
2006 8,603

I speculate that most of the tourists that did not go to lodges or stay in hotels went on Amazon Cruises, were missionaries, or were seeking the services of a shaman, or curandero.

Tourism Statistics for Iquitos Peru

Bill Grimes, President, Dawn on the Amazon Tours and Cruises

1 alan shoemaker May 27, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Very good information Bill. Thanks.

2 Bill May 27, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Thanks Alan, I am curious if anyone knows or could make an intelligent guess about how much of the total tourism to Iquitos is here primarily for Shamanism, ayauasca, and natural medicines?

3 Jorge Matos May 27, 2008 at 5:10 pm

Mucho ayudaria que exista una carretera que conecte Iquitos con el resto del Peru.

4 alan shoemaker May 30, 2008 at 11:48 pm

I was told that 30 percent are coming here for shamanism…that´s incredible. but I don´t know the facts…

5 Bill May 31, 2008 at 6:49 am

In conversations on this subject with me people have guessed between 10% and 30%. I read on the internet one of the most well known shamanism destinations quoted as serving 600 tourists in two years. Although there are many shamans, the vast majority never see a tourist, so my gut instinct is that 30% is too high, but your guess is as good as mine until there are better statistics, which there can’t be. Some people have criticized the data in this article about tourism in general as too high. I only culled the information that seemed most interesting to me. I could have posted hotel occupancy per month, lodge occupancy per month, how many tourists from North Korea, the sharp decline in the number of tourists from Venezuela from 2005 to 2006, the number of Peruvian tourists to Iquitos, which cities they came from, and lots more. I look forward to seeing the 2007 figures to see if there is a trend. I suspect there were fewer tourists in 2007. For several months planes were only scheduled to Iquitos very early in the morning or after dark, and fewer flights because of buzzards on the runway. That problem has been solved but I am sure it cost Iquitos thousands of tourist in 2007.

6 yachtcharter griechenland April 11, 2009 at 7:06 am

Wow, I never knew that Tourism Statistics for Iquitos Peru. That’s pretty interesting…

7 Luke Waterson March 16, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Hi everyone,

Trying to find out statistics for 2007 and 2008 – any ideas where? Or any approximate estimates for international tourists to Iquitos in these years?

8 GUNNERY SEARGENT ''LUIS F. MONTALVA'' UNITED STATES MARINE CORP'S May 3, 2010 at 3:53 am

Hi Bill,

Hows it going I hope everything is going well for You thats My email write back looking to hear from You soon , take care Bud !

9 GUNNERY SEARGENT ''LUIS F. MONTALVA'' UNITED STATES MARINE CORP'S May 3, 2010 at 3:54 am