Recipes of Peru

For when you want a taste of Peru but can’t fly down to see us, Dawn on the Amazon is compiling recipes of Peru. What a gourmet, Peruvian grandmother would serve to her family when she wants them to remember it’s special.

From this modest beginning, over time, will come a list of recipes of Peru and then a Dawn on the Amazon Recipes of Peru cookbook. This is our first recipe.

Cecina con Tacacho:
Tacacho is green bananas (platano). Two per serving. Sauté, boil, or bake until they are soft enough to mash. Mix a with little pork fat, or palm or olive oil, and small pieces of cooked pork (optional), just enough to make the pieces stick. Form into a baseball sized ball and cook over charcoal until heated through. Serve with the best ham-like cut of pork you can get, no fat at all, cured, dried, and salted, called cecina. It makes a very good meal. To impress a girl from Iquitos with a special meal you would either buy her ceviche or cecina with tacacho.

Dawn on the Amazon Recipes of Peru Cookbook, Cecina con Tacacho.

1 Dave Bonnett June 7, 2007 at 12:24 am

Fantastic!
But I don’t think I’ll be able to get my pepper flowers to look like Marmalita’s. We will plan on coming down every year for a trip on the Dawn 3 for some of the delicious meals. Dottie

2 dawson June 7, 2007 at 6:26 pm

hey Bill and Marmalita….Great idea !….to begin compiling and sharing some of the Peruvian delights you serve onboard…..as we have such fond memories of eating in Dawn III’s dining room….

3 Bill June 10, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Thanks Dottie, and Dawson, for your continued enthusiasm. Marmelita, Judy, Marjorie, Marina, and Lupa, practiced on some new recipes a few days ago. It was like Thanksgiving. They fed my entire crew. I must brag on the orange sauce stir fry, the Maracuyá (Passion Fruit) sauce and the stuffed peppers like I never had before but want to have again as soon as possible.

Best,

4 Dave Bonnett June 14, 2007 at 9:35 pm

Last night we had friends over to watch a DVD of some of our Amazon pictures and we cooked a Peruvian meal as best we could. Shirley, Dave and I started slicing and dicing at noon and we were barely ready when people arrived for dinner. I don’t think we’d make it as cooks on your boat – at least not if people wanted 3 meals a day. But it was good and we were homesick. Shirley was in charge of pepper flowers and they looked pretty good. Dottie

5 Bill June 16, 2007 at 10:47 am

Wow, I wanted to be there to share the hard work,,,ja,ja,ja, that is nice of all of you, I am delighted to know that you are practicing, is a pity I couldn’t practice Mr. Dave’s mango salad yet but when it is mango season I will. It is wonderful the flowers came pretty, but I am with the curiosity which recipe did you make? If I can help with some questions it will be my pleasure,,,be fine and good luck,,we keep you present always, Marmelita.

6 jim June 19, 2007 at 8:31 am

Yes. It sounds sweet and salty and good. More recipes.

7 Christine Steendahl June 9, 2008 at 1:42 pm

Keep the recipes coming!

8 Nate September 27, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Dawn, I would like to speak with you regarding an idea for a dish that I have using cuy. I want to have cuy, cecina, and tacacho in the same dish, and I have an idea of how to do it, however, I wanted to speak with you regarding the traditional methods of cookery, and how I might improvise in a more modern kitchen. In Puerto Rico we called the mashed green plantain mofongo, but i have an idea that tacacho may be very similar? Please email me at your earliest convenience.

Nate Auchter
Sous Chef
National Museum of the American Indian
Washington, DC

9 Nate September 27, 2008 at 9:09 pm

My apologies Bill,
I thought the author of this site was named Dawn, and didn’t realize the title, “Dawn on the Amazon” Sorry for my ignorance. Please email me when you have a chance.

Nate